Rapid city sd dating
A square mile was measured off and the six blocks in the center were designated as a business section.Committees were appointed to bring in prospective merchants and their families to locate in the new settlement.In the neighboring Black Hills are the popular tourist attractions of Mount Rushmore, the Crazy Horse Memorial, Custer State Park, Wind Cave National Park, Jewel Cave National Monument, the museum at the Black Hills Institute of Geological Research, and to the east of the city is Badlands National Park.The public discovery of gold in 1874 by the Black Hills Expedition brought a mass influx of settlers into the Black Hills region of South Dakota.During the Cold War, missile installations proliferated in the area: a series of Nike Air Defense sites were constructed around Ellsworth in the 1950s.In the early 60s the construction of three Titan missile launch sites containing a total of nine Titan I missiles in the general vicinity of Rapid City took place.Rushmore Plaza Civic Center and a new Central High School were built in part of the area that had been cleared.The new Central High School opened in 1978, with the graduating class in that year straddling both the original Central (housed in what is now Rapid City High School and community theater) and the new Central.
As a result, the population of the area nearly doubled between 19, from almost 14,000 to nearly 27,000 people.Known as the "Gateway to the Black Hills" due to its location and the "City of Presidents" because of the life-size bronze president statues located downtown.Rapid City is split by a low mountain ridge that divides the western and eastern parts of the city.On June 9, 1972, heavy rains caused massive flash flooding along the course of Rapid Creek through the city.238 people lost their lives and more than 0 million in property was destroyed.
Search for rapid city sd dating:
Rapid City was founded, and originally known as "Hay Camp", in 1876 by a group of disappointed miners, who promoted their new city as the "Gateway to the Black Hills", a nickname the city now shares with neighboring Box Elder.